August 14, 2022

Essence Bambi Maxi Blush Highlighter | Review

essence bambi blush highlighter

Earlier this year, Essence released an adorable Disney collection, this time it was centered around animals (Bambi, Dumbo and Patch). Today, I am here to show you the Bambi maxi blush highlighter. Full review and lots of photos with swatches after the break.

essence bambi collection
Essence Bambi collection

The Essence Disney Classics collection was made in collaboration with Catrice. The sister brands have collaborated with one another many times, understandably so. Their big Disney collabs are very popular, I myself own a little something from almost every one of their Disney collections. 

While this summer marks the 4th year anniversary of my low buy / no buy era, the "low buy" part in it refers to limited editions that I would regret not having. If I lay my eyes on something that I find unique, and it still lives in my mind a month later, I will most likely buy it or request it as a gift if a holiday is around that time. The Essence animal-themed Disney collection was one of the three LEs that grabbed my attention this year, I picked up two eyeshadow palettes and this Bambi blushlighter.

essence bambi highlighter ingredients

Packaging:

The strength of the collection must lie in the sweet packaging. Familiar faces of your beloved childhood cartoon characters will look back at you if you hold these products in your hand. The artwork is beautiful, done in the classic Disney style the cartoons themselves were illustrated in. No new art style, very simple and familiar. I welcome the idea of focusing on animals this time, instead of Disney princesses. 

Now, one thing I don't like about the packaging, is the fact that it feels like sandpaper. You wouldn't guess it just by looking at it, but the entire casing feels odd. I have a feeling the tiny sparkles are to blame, because the entire packaging is covered in shimmer. It's the type of shimmer that doesn't come off, luckily.

essence bambi blush highlighter opened casing
Essence Bambi maxi blush highligher - 01 Nature

Both the eyeshadow palettes and the blushlighters come with large mirrors, which are handy on the go. I never really felt like I needed mirrors in compacts before, but now that I do my makeup in odd places, I definitely know how to appreciate it.


The palettes are made of cardboard and close with magnets. You get 14 gr of product in the maxi blush highlighter, which is almost 3x the size of a regular Essence blush or highlighter.


essence bambi blush
Essence Bambi blush - Disney collaboration

The product itself:

Essence, for some reason, really likes to mix blush with highlighter, so they created the "blushlighter" product a while back. Seems like they abandoned that particular product name, because these hybrids are now called maxi blush highlighters, in this collection at least. As the name suggests, these products are essentially shimmery blushes. As blush, they are very unforgiving on most skin types because they enhance every little skin imperfection. I don't particularly understand while the brand is pushing these products, but hey, they must have a reason. 

The Bambi maxi blush highlighter (01 Nature) however, is one of the best picks if you really would like to try one of these hybrid products, because it is light enough to be a highlighter on light skin tones, but can be used as a blush topper too. This shade is essentially a peach shimmery blush / highlighter, even though it looks like a bronzer in the pan. 

Before I made my purchase online, I tried to look up swatches of the 3 blushlighters of the collection. I have found one singular video that was useful at the time (in April), and I was surprised to see that even though the Bambi one looks the darkest in the pan, it is the lightest of the 3 on the skin. Very rarely do I come across products like that.

As you can see, the product consists of 2 tones, a light shimmery peach that looks like the spots on deer, and a darker bronze color. 

You can see a variety of swatch photos below, but to simply put it: it's a peachy shimmery shade. The swatches below show the product swirled together, but if you only use the light peachy shade with a small brush, you essentially get a perfect dupe for MAC Jest. It's a beautiful inner corner highlight!

essence bambi blush highlighter swatch
Essence Bambi blush highlighter swatch - 01 Nature

Important to note: if you have skin color similar to mine, or lighter, you will need to use a blush with this product to use as a highlighter. If you tend to skip blush in your routine, and just go for highlight and contour, this guy will show up on your skin as a peachy streak. The highlighting part itself packs a punch, you can see it from space, but it has a prominent peach tone to it. If it can't blend into a blush, it just looks odd. If you have darker skin than mine, that should not be a problem.

The product has a very faint sweet scent to it as well, you can only smell it if you lean into the powder.

essence bambi blushlighter swatch

Essence Bambi maxi blush highlighter swatch - 01 Nature

essence bambi blush highlighter

Did you pick something up from the  Essence x Catrice Disney animal collection?
Would you dare to try a shimmery blush?

- Evinde

I purchased the product with my own money.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...