May 10, 2019

Colourpop Pressed Powder Shadows | Review

colourpop pressed powder shadows

It's May, which means it's Colourpop's birthday month. Usually, they offer terrific deals throughout the month, I hope that will be the case this year too. I thought I would write about their pressed powder shadows in case you want to buy some. 


colourpop mono eyeshadow review
Colourpop pressed powder shadows
Out of all my Colourpop products, the mono eyeshaows are the easiest to show here because I own the least amount of them. It's easier to fit them all in one photo.

The Colourpop pressed powder shadows have nice quality in general, though they can be hit or miss. They are very similar to Coastal Scents hot pots, be it texture, pigmentation, lasting power or colour selection. I am rather surprised nobody references Coastal Scents when talking about Colourpop pressed eyeshadows.

colourpop pressed eyeshadows
top row: Paper Tiger, Night Show, Snake Eyes
bottom row: Tea Garden, Glass Bull, Fault Line

Pigmentation, blendability, colours:

Some of them have excellent pigmentation while others don't. Blendability is average to good, also depends on what kind of base you use beneath them. The colour selection is huge, though I wish they would make more duochromes. I am still longing for their now discontinued 2017 birthday iridescent shadows.

colourpop duochrome eyeshadow swatches
Fault Line, Glass Bull, Tea Garden
colourpop single shadow handswatches
hand swatches with flash:
top row: Paper Tiger, Night Show, Snake Eyes
bottom row: Tea Garden, Glass Bull, Fault Line

Since each finish and colour is different in features, I write about them individually.

Paper Tiger is a mustard yellow matte. It is one of their best sellers, and I bought it because I like unconventional colours, mostly for autumn. Nicely pigmented. Turns very warm on my neutral skin and loses a lot of its mustard quality unfortunately. Still a unique colour.

Night Show is a medium bronze with strong yellow undertones, a gorgeous colour for autumn. It is smooth and creamy.

Snake Eyes is a mixture of a rose gold and a pink. Their official description says it's a pink taupe but I don't really see taupe in it. Reminded me of a darker version of Urban Decay Sin, that's why I bought it. Very smooth, creamy and pigmented; can be chunky at times.

colourpop pressed powder shadow swatch
hand swatches in sunlight:
top row: Paper Tiger, Night Show, Snake Eyes
bottom row: Tea Garden, Glass Bull, Fault Line

Tea Garden is a beautiful duochrome. The base colour is a coppery brown and the shift is an antique type of green. It is comparable to Coastal Scents Cherry Moss hot pot, but this one's on steroids. I love duochromes.

Glass Bull, aka the shade everyone went nuts over. It is one of the more unique duochromes out there. The base colour is a medium pinkish brown that has a teal-to-blue shift. Unfortunately the pigmentation and texture lacked, it is very flaky to the point where it has hella fallout, and also very sheer, almost translucent on the eye. I would recommend using it as a topper, or over a very sticky primer with a wet brush or fingers. It's such a beautiful colour yet such a bust of a formula, I'm really disappointed. Regardless, I would still recommend to pick it up because it is such a unique shade. It was my first CP mono shadow.

Fault Line is a medium purple with a blue shift. This one also lacks pigmentation unfortunately, you will need at least 2 coats, a sticky base or a coloured base to make it vibrant. 

real swatches of colourpop eyeshadows
Colourpop mono eyeshadow swatches in sunlight
All in all, I would just buy the pre-made Colourpop palettes (way more affordable), or buy monos when they're having a BYOP deal, or just buy a couple of unique shades. I still think that CS hot pots would be a way better option to build a palette, but I do like my CP mono shadows. CP and Coastal Scents monos combine great together by the way, I have them all in one palette. Issa family.

To sum it up, I don't think you necessarily need the Colourpop pressed powder shadows, I would absolutely just go for the Coastal Scents hot pots when they are having a $1 sale. Their duochromes kinda put these to shame, and are the better option particularly if you're from Hungary (or Europe). Colourpop packages can get expensive at customs if you're not paying attention. 

~ Evinde

I purchased the products with my own money.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...