October 26, 2018

Must-Have Mustard Nail Polish of the Season | Simple Autumnal Manicure


Mustard yellow is IN this season! It is good news because I have been a huge fan of it for years now. I am really happy that I have a lot of options nowadays when it comes to this colour. In today's post, I show an autum leaf manicure and review a mustard yellow nail polish that is very popular this fall. Let's see!


mustard yellow nail polish
mustard yellow nail polish 

Mustard yellow usually makes people love it or hate it. For someone like me, who has a very large nail polish collection, an odd colour like mustard yellow is really exciting. I remember when Barry M came out with one around 2012-2013, I was nuts about it, too bad that by the time I was able to buy it, it was long gone. Been longing for a mustard yellow nail polish ever since. Ironically, I have a LOT of them now.

The return of the mustard-craze hit really hard last year, I remember scoring my first mustard yellow scarf. Last autumn I had dark burgundy hair, so it looked especially good with it. Autumn is my favourite season, and I love to wear fall foliage colours during this time of the year. I feel alive!


China Glaze Mustard the Courage
China Glaze Mustard the Courage - 2 coats, no base or top coat

The star of the show today, aka the IT-piece mustard yellow nail polish of the season is called Mustard the Courage by China Glaze, and it is part of this year's Ready To Wear collection. Last time I was this excited about a fall China Glaze collection was back when the Autumn Nights collection came out, probably in 2013. This year's colours are awesome, they did a really good job. I know that a lot of people were asking them for a mustard yellow shade, and they finally decided to make one. Good job!

China Glaze Mustard the Courage

Mustard the Courage is a true mustard yellow nail polish, it has a bit of a dirty value to it. On my photos, it might lean on the melted butter side of yellow, but in real life, it is a true mustard yellow. I would love to see how it compares to the OG Barry M Mustard.


China Glaze Mustard the Courage
China Glaze Mustard the Courage - Ready to Wear collection

Formula, coverage and longevity:

Mustard the Courage is highly pigmented, it would easily cover in one coat. BUT! It is so thick that I had to use nail polish thinner before using it. It has so thick of a formula that even though it covers very well, it dries kinda quick and drags itself, completely removing the first stroke of colour. After using a polish thinner, it applied beautifully in 2 thin coats. 

The longevity was very surprising to me. China Glaze is hit or miss, sometimes it wears off rather quickly, but not this time. I did not use a base or top coat, which I usually never do, but I knew that a top coat would mess with the colour so I skipped it for the sake of good photos. This little guy lasted for 6 days on me without a single chip or tip-wear, which is crazy to me. My nails are peeling all the time, so a nail polish wearing this well without a base or top coat is very rare. Maybe I should wear my CG polishes like this more often. This baby did not stain my nails after removing it, and that is also incredible, considering it is a highly pigmented yellow shade.

I need to mention that I only removed it on the 6th day because I wanted to review other nail polsihes, not because it chipped. Usually I change my polish after 3 days, but I would love to test how far it can go without chipping, because 6 days is definitely not the end of it.


China Glaze Mustard the Courage

new China Glaze brush
new China Glaze brush

China Glaze has a new, wider brush now as well! It is great news, and people have been asking for it for years now. I love that they are finally listening to us. 

mustard yellow autumnal manicure china glaze
mustard yellow autumnal manicure

I skipped the nail stamping this time, and added autumn leaf water decals that are easy to use. I already have a blogpost about these fall foliage water decals here. This is probably the most user-friendly, simple nail art method that can be done quickly and gives a lovely effect. Just search for autumn leaf water decals on eBay. Even though I got mine years ago on the Born Pretty website, you can always find BPS stuff on ebay as well, usually for even cheaper. 

fall leaf water decals and mustard yellow nail polish
fall leaf water decals and mustard yellow nail polish
China Glaze Mustard the Courage - 2 coats

If you wonder, I purchased my Mustard the Courage off of eBay a month ago, but if you search for it, you can still find it. It is sold by a US seller, and the product arrived rather quickly.

To sum it up:


Disadvantages:
- so thick it needs to be thinned before using
- this particular shade is more expensive than the others of the same collection (on eBay at least)
- probably sold out in most places (not on eBay though)

Advantages:
- highly pigmented
- true mustard yellow colour
- extremely long-lasting without using a base or top coat
- washed it off after 6 days, no chipping or tip-wear
- no staining on the nails
- lasts long even on peeling nails

That is it for today, hope you enjoyed it.

Are you into mustard coloured things this autumn?

~ Ev

If you like nail polish, you might be interested in these blogposts as well.

I bought the product with my own money.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...