May 11, 2022

#GraveyardProjectPan 2022 | INTRO

graveyard project pan

There are several nostalgic makeup products in the bunch I show today, let me know if you recognize or own any of them. I am here with the first project pan for the year: I swore to myself that in 2022, I will document my panning on the blog too. Before that, I was mainly doing it offline, for myself since 2013. I have only one project documented (from 2014), and that needs to change, so here we go.

The videos and community in the panning sphere have been a huge inspiration for me in the past 9 years, and it feels satisfying to see other people actually use up their makeup products entirely, rather than just tossing them in the trash and calling it a day. I have been watching several people on youtube who are on top of the panning game, some of my favourites are PrettyPistol86 and Jessica Lee. I highly recommend you check out their videos if you have interest in the topic.

Hopefully by documenting my progress online, I will also motivate some of you to join in on projects and to pan with me. It will also push me to wear makeup more often, which has been on the decline ever since the plague started, I think some of you can relate.

Why pan your makeup collection? It teaches you about your products, and how long they take to use up, slowing down your purchases. It also helps you to rotate through your collection. It also can be a great challenge, especially if done in a community. This is mainly relevant for people who have a large collection of beauty products, of course. 

I dislike that one particular type of decluttering is all over youtube, and this type is the one which encourages throwing out half of your stuff every six months, only to buy the same amount of new things 2 weeks later, only to be thrown out again. It doesn't teach the viewers much, other than being incredibly wasteful. There are better ways to handle things. Frankly, it makes my blood boil when I see people throw out things that are practically brand new, and products that other people would cherish and enjoy (after disinfecting them of course). That's why I'm happy to see people donating their makeup rather than junking it. Or giving it to friends and family, or doing blog sales. And that is why exactly I adore the panning community, because people there focus on using up products completely.

Another topic that has been bothering me for years is the expiry dates situation, how people handle them, and how companies are pushing you for new purchases with them. It breaks my heart when people junk products that are still in perfect condition, just because the little best before date is due. Always go by the smell, texture, color and in case of lip products, taste of a product rather than the "best before" date that is only put on there so companies don't get sued in case of an allergic reaction. The ingredients don't magically drop dead the second the clock strikes midnight. There are, of course, special cases; but most of the time, if you follow good hygiene, have a sanitary environment and keep your makeup products in a cool place so the oils in them don't go rancid, there will be no issue with most products even well after the expiry date. Sanitize those bad boys with alcohol every once in a while. Keep them clean, the packaging and casing too. This is, of course, focuses on people who are not professional artists, but use products only on themselves in a personal setting. If you are a pro makeup artist, definitely be strict with everything. 

If you are wondering if I still have a product you saw in a post in 2011, the answer is most likely yes. I don't throw out anything unless it's unsavable, and even then, I can use pigments in paint or crafts, and so on.

I have also been on a no buy / low buy for almost 4 years now, I only recently allowed myself a haul, so panning posts fit well with that. The "low buy" refers to limited products that I don't wanna pass up, or if a favourite product gets discontinued. Other than that, I haven't bought new makeup in almost 4 years. After all, I am following my own rules, so I think once I hit the official anniversary of the 4th year, I will be less strict with myself. I also have many, really old haul posts on my laptop too, from way before 2018, so I can post those any time just for eye candy. I would not want to waste the pretty photos either, I put time and effort into taking them.

graveyard project pan
#GraveyardProjectPan Intro 2022

Now let's talk about the graveyard project pan. This project starts on the 30th of April and ends on the 31st of October, right on Halloween, to go with the name. You can add 5-10 products (rolling), and there are 2 categories for said products: resurrection (products that weren't finished in previous panning projects) and collecting cobwebs (products neglected in your collection tha thave been just sitting there). 

I realize I am 10 days late posting this, however, I took the photos on the 30th of April, so the progress on them starts right on time, luckily. I chose 6 products, for the 6 months this project lasts for. I state my goal on each of them below.

essence catrice powder hit pan

Catrice Prime And Fine waterproof mattifying powder - 9 gr
Category: resurrection
Goal: to use it up

This is a product that has been re-pressed after hitting pan on it once, and since then I hit pan on it again. It's a great waterproof powder, a staple in the summer. I think I bought it around 2014, but am not sure. Can't find any photos and posts either. This version has been discontinued and renamed several times, it's still available under a different name. I used up 2 tubs of its loose powder version as well.

Essence Blossoms Etc. multi-color powder (01 Flower Power) - 10 gr
Category: collecting cobwebs
Goal: to hit medium-sized pan

A sentimental piece, this multi-color highlighter powder was part of a beautiful spring collection called Blossoms Etc. from 2011. It's my favourite spring collection up to this day, my review can be read here. I decided to pan it because for one, I was saving it but want to enjoy it too, and for two, because I have a backup of it. The flower embossing on it was a big reason for me to save it for years too, I attached a photo of it below when it was new. It is a subtle highlighter that gives a lovely sheen, however, I plan on using it as a finishing powder to merge everything together on the face (think of the Guerlain Meteorites or the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders). It smells slightly sweet, even after all these years. I wish Essence would release this collection again.

essence blossoms etc powder
Essence Blossoms Etc. powder when it was new

essence cream blush and eyeshadow project pan


Essence Ready For Boarding lip & cheek cream blush (02 Beauty On Tour) - 2.5 gr
Category: collecting cobwebs
Goal: to hit medium-sized pan

The Beauty On Tour cream blush is from the 2012 Ready For Boarding trend edition, it turns 10 years old this year, that's unreal to me. But hey, I am 10 years older now as well. I truly hate the passing of time. Anyway... this cream blush is one of those products I kept saving for special occasions throughout the years. It smells and tastes delicious and fruity, has a pleasant creamy texture that is easy to work with both on the cheeks and lips, and I intend to use it on both. It is heavily pigmented, so I imagine it will take a while to even just hit pan on it. It is getting old and I am afraid it will lose its scent or taste, and it also will be the perfect coral colour for the summer. I have a review about it here.

Essence Pure Beauty duo eyeshadow (01 Honey Bun) - 2.5 gr
Category: resurrection
Goal: to use it up

This eyeshadow is a nostalgic piece for me from the 2009 Pure Beauty trend edition, and it throws me back to a very specific time, place and memory. It was my second Essence product I've ever bought and I purchased several pieces of the Pure Beauty collection that day. It is a magnificent matte brown shade for the crease that came with a matte light pink shade too. I have hit pan on it in the past, re-pressed it and hit pan once again. I have mentioned and showed this eyeshadow in many posts over the 12 years, you can check them here: 1 2 3 

Essence Pure Beauty Honey Bun eyeshadow - how it originally looked

catrice bb cream and essence hand cream

Catrice BB Allround Foundation SPF 30 (010 Light Beige) - 30 ml
Category: resurrection
Goal: use it up

My beloved Catrice Allround BB cream is nearing its end, and I would like to use it up entirely, as I have a backup of it ready to go. I have a detailed review of it here, it's an almost full-coverage Western BB cream. It was bought and discontinued in 2014. It has lovely ingredients too, no alcohol, unlike the notorious Garnier BB cream that was the IT-piece around that time (which I also own). The Catrice one is an unsung hero, if you will. It looks too dark on the hand swatch, even though I own the lightest shade, but only because I accidentally squeezed out too much. It matches me well on the face. I marked where I am on the packaging, and I will also cut it open towards the very end.

catrice allround bb cream
Catrice Allround BB cream when it was new

Essence 24h Hand Protection Balm (Raspberry Chocolate Cookie) - 75 ml
Category: resurrection
Goal: use it up

These oldschool Essence 24h winter limited edition handcreams are my favourite handcream formula ever, I am so sad this exact packaging and formula was discontinued circa 2014. I was looking forward to them every winter and had many in my collection. I mention them several times on the blog too if you search for the name. This particular one smells like raspberry sour candy and is one of my favourites. I will cut it open once I can't squeeze out more. Since I can't track the progress otherwise, I weighed it, and it stands on 45 grams on the 30th of April.

Tip: always cut open your products, you will get 2 more weeks worth of product.

graveyard project pan 2022 swatches
#GraveyardProjectPan intro swatches

I am thinking about only doing an update every 2 months, or every 6 weeks since I don't wear makeup every day. Summer is already kicking us with 32 °C in May, and since we don't have AC and July and August can go up to 47 °C where I live (I know, end me), I will not be able to wear makeup until September as frequently as I'd like to. I also don't want back-to-back graveyard project pan posts on the blog. What do you think?

How many products have you hit pan on? Would you ever participate in any panning project? Don't be shy to comment. Also feel free to join in the project.

Also, the Bambi post is on its way! I know I promised it for Easter, however I am unfortunately in the process of having to switch laptops. My 10 year old companion of a workhorse Lenovo is on its way out.

- Evinde


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...